Wednesday 12 September 2007

The trouble with buying ethical food…

So far I’ve been doing this ethical spending thing for just over a week and I’ve been pretty good. I have bought a t-shirt from a charity shop and that’s been it apart from food. But food is where I’m really struggling. I went out to dinner the other night and went to my local pub that I can walk to. Great so far, no pollution from travel costs and supporting my local business but they didn’t say if any of the food was local or organic and had actually labelled their lamb as from New Zealand. Now personally, I really don’t like food that’s travelled more than I have, so I really resent food from the other side of the world, especially considering the fuel costs involved. But if I travel to a restaurant that sells fair-trade organic food I will have to drive (well, get someone else to drive me) and personally I think that’s worse. So, the stance is I will do my best with food, I’ll buy my tea bags from Oxfam, my veg from the farm shop and try to buy as much organic, fair-trade and local as possible but I’m not going to tie myself in knots over it. It’s just too difficult. So, apart from the food problem it’s going great!

No comments: