Thursday 13 September 2007

Disposable items when landfills are running out

One of my pet hates is disposable items. I personally don’t see what’s wrong with using something more than once! There are so many disposable products these days it seems totally inappropriate when we are all striving towards ‘reduce, reuse and recycle’ and when we all know that we’re rapidly running out of landfill space. So, you can image my dismay when I read last night in Metro (another of my pet hates - free newspapers) about disposable rocket launchers. For a start weapons manufacturing encourages war and conflict and the money spent on them by governments should be used to fight famine, invest in education, healthcare and whole host of more needy departments but disposable weapons? That seems to be a complete contradiction of everything the government seems to be working towards. I can’t help but wonder if these weapons will be included in the electrical waste legislation WEEE where the manufacturer or retailer is responsible for recycling the product when it has come to the end of its lifespan. I do hope so otherwise this is a blatant disregard for the environment and makes a mockery of all the efforts of every other industry that’s at least trying to be more environmentally friendly.

No comments: