Wednesday 19 September 2007

Ethical electricity, supporting conservation and a free DVD!

It’s been two and a half weeks of my ethical shopping lifestyle and so far it’s going really well. Apart from the usual essential bread and milk runs to the local shop, I have only bought veg from the farmshop down the road, fair-trade tea bags from Oxfam, and a t-shirt and CD from a charity shop. I must be saving a lot of money doing this. As I have to justify to myself that everything I buy is benefiting a small local business or charity (rather than a chain or franchise) I am questioning whether I actually need the things I buy or not. So far I haven’t needed to buy much food as I have squirrel tendencies and like to stock pile food so I’m yet to see how hard that’s going to be.

If I’m going to take this low impact ethical lifestyle seriously, I’ve decided that I need to do something about my energy use. I already use energy saving bulbs and turn my TV off at the wall at night but I’m also going to switch supplier. I’ve found this great offer from ecotricity with WWF. If you sign up to ecotricity they’ll donate £15 to WWF and send you a copy of ‘The Inconvenient Truth’ on DVD. Sounds like a great deal to me!

No comments: