Thursday 13 September 2007

Ethical gifts and guilt free shopping

On a lighter note, I’ve been doing some browsing and I have found some great websites that are run by charities which sell some great stuff. One of my favourite online charity shops is the RSPB. They sell loads of things from bird books to clothes, household items and some great gift ideas. At the moment they are promoting their Sumatra campaign and I think the best way to support this campaign to raise awareness about the biodiversity under threat in Sumatra is by buying this lovely little Sumatran tiger soft toy.

Another one of my favourites is the Born Free shop. Born Free is a wildlife charity with lots of very worthwhile campaigns and some great products on sale. WWF, one of the most famous wildlife charities also has a shop and they also sell some great stuff like this ladybird tea set.

As you can probably tell, I do like to support wildlife charities but if you have a particular fondness of a people based charity or dog based charity or pretty much any type of charity you will be able to find a charity that you want to support on the Charity Gifts website. Here you can buy almost anything and chose which charity you want to support.

I know people often talk about retail therapy, but I have always found that spending money makes me feel bad because there are so many better things that I could do with my cash but this kind of shopping really makes me feel good – not only do you help some really worthwhile charities but you get some really cool stuff too!

These kinds of website are going to be the only way I’m going to cope with this ethical shopping campaign of mine!

1 comment:

Matthew O. Smith said...

There are some companies dedicated to helping people rather than exploiting them. One of these is called My Princess Pearls. Not only do they pay a decent wage, they also collect donations to be sent to help the families further.


The Mission of My Princess Pearls is to improve the living conditions in third world countries while helping women accessorize their wardrobes with Genuine Handmade Jewelry at amazingly affordable prices.

Our genuine pearl jewelry comes directly from Asian women who have been trained in the jewelry making process by our source . Now, previous non-income earners are able to sustain their families. By offering unique financial opportunities to Independent Distributors worldwide, we continue our goal of improving the standard of living across the globe.