Saturday 31 January 2015

Minimalism: freeing ourselves from stuffication

This blog post will make anyone who knows me laugh out loud. I'm a hoarder. Not a 'I-need-help' type hoarder, but a "what if I need it later" or "but that could be useful" hoarder. I read an article recently that said that my generation are prone to hoarding as our parents had so little after the war years, that their need to hang onto everything that they owned is also engrained in us. The telegraph article suggested chucking out one item of clutter on day one, two items on day two, three on three etc for a month. Because starting the decluttering process is the hardest step. In the last two weeks I have taken four large bags of stuff to the charity shop. Stuff that I won't miss (hopefully!), stuff that might make someone else a bit more comfortable or happy. I could list all the clichés about possessions owning you, uncluttered home meaning an uncluttered mind, blah blah blah but you've heard it all before! I'm clinging onto my old junk for the wrong reasons. It's not useful, it's not beautiful, it doesn't make me happy. What would make me happy is a clean and tidy home but having two small children puts pay to that. I used to think that having a bigger house or better storage would be the solution. But buying something just to keep your other stuff in isn't the solution. It's still early days so it will be interesting to see how I get on. 

No comments: