Wednesday 31 October 2007

Mind the gap: 21st century crimes of fashion

A couple of days ago I was starting to wonder why I had bothered with this ethical shopping malarkey – did it really matter? Does anyone really care? And then the news of Gap using child labourers hit the press. Well, for a start ‘labourers’ is a bit of a stretch of the word, it seems more like slavery to me. But, for me this news just confirming my beliefs. It proved to me that we need to make a stand against this. This is not acceptable in this day and age. I, like many people, sponsor a child to be in school so she doesn’t have to work. How many people are sending off their donations to educate former child labourers but then spend more on a pair of jeans from Gap? Its time we all started to think about where are clothes, not just our food, comes from. I think its time for fair trade clothes to become as common as fair trade bananas.

No comments: